Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Month 4 Thoughts - Gargantuar

Another defeat at the hands of Psychotron. It's almost as if I'M the bad guy and HE is the superhero. I mean, come on! But I think it's just the obligatory hardship before the thrilling comeback by the good guys, AKA me. So don't get discouraged Gangantuar fans, my good friend Rachel will tell you, "if there is not a happy ending then the story isn't finished yet" or something like that.

Weigh-in Thoughts

I lost 5lbs this past month and am trying to keep that into perspective. 5lbs is not easy. I've been working my butt off in the gym, literally. I've been running, doing spin classes, playing tennis and doing some lifting. Is it possible I've built up some muscle, leading to less weight loss? Maybe, but I bet Joe has built up some muscle of his own. I saw him Saturday, he was looking good. Almost as good as me.

My goal after month one was to get down to 250, and I have a good shot to reach that goal. So what else can I do to help achieve the goal? Well, staying on top of my workouts will surely help, but it's not everything. I must stick to my diet much better than I have the past month. It is undoing a lot of my gym work. It's not like I have been all bad eating, but a lot of the days are just ruined by one super bad meal, or meals and snacking (like during and after Caps games).

In honesty, this is the longest I've been "dieting" straight. I mean 4 months of working out and watching what I eat is a long time. That is why a lot of what I've been doing has been lifestyle changes. Gradually building up my running stamina, going to the gym 2-4 times a week, playing tennis, these are all things I can maintain as just a normal part of life. It was easier in the beginning to diet, all it took was some discipline. Now, it is easier to go to the gym for an hour or so. There are so many "reasons" to break your diet:
  • There is a party
  • Free food at work
  • Alcohol is tasty
  • Sporting events
  • Difficult life situations
  • It's a day that ends in "Y"
These are not reasons though, they are excuses. Now, I am no saint and don't expect myself to never drink or eat less healthy food. The best advice I've been given since the competition started was "Do everything in moderation, including moderation." If i can do that, I'll be in good shape. It's about sticking to my priorities, remembering my motivation, and moderation.

Up Ahead!

So this Saturday I am running the National Police Week 5K. Again, my goal is to just run the whole thing. I don't know if I can do it, but I like reaching for my goals. Any other advice or tips on sticking to my diet would be greatly appreciated in the comments section.
Oh....here is the obligatory Wang picture, as promised...........





Sorry, Joe, I just couldn't help myself.

1 comment:

  1. I shall see you at the Police Week 5k! It's going to be great!

    ReplyDelete