Thursday, April 28, 2011

Psychotron - Daily Diary 29

So far, I'm not sure about this whole points system. More on that at the end.

4/25/11

Calories: 1,360
Activities: walk
Points: 5

One thing I will say about the points system is that I do love having another piece of data to report, even if it's completely derivative of another piece of data (the calories). I'm a big fan of lists. Anyways, really good day, good bounce back after a tough Sunday.

4/26/11

Calories: 2,396
Activities: Rock Band, walk
Points: 1

I included Rock Band because I sweated my ass off while playing. Just soaked. Thank goodness I bought a headband for just such an occasion. That's right. I wore a headband to keep sweat out of my eyes so I could read the Rock Band guitar notes for Your Touch by The Black Keys and Centerfold by J. Geils Band. So if you didn't feel superior before...

It wasn't a bad eating night. It was, however, a bad drinking night.

4/27/11

Calories: 2,186
Activities: walk
Points: 2

So, four days in and we've got 9 points. That means we need 9 more over the next three days. Is it impossible? Certainly not. Is it a challenge? Absolutely. Three points per day means about 2,000 calories per day, which is lower than my daily goals ever were. So it's on. Probably my best tactic would be to try to get 4 or 5 points on Thursday, to leave a little wiggle room for the weekend.

By the way, it wasn't just a "walk" on Wednesday night. I managed to find myself about a mile from my house when we started getting torrential downpours in Rockville. I crossed my fingers and hoped that my mp3 player wouldn't short out (looks like it's alright), and double-timed it back to the house, but not before my clothes got soaked through and through. It wasn't bad, though. There's something refreshing about walking around in the rain.

Looking Forward

So I find myself feeling more tempted to misreport my calories now that there's a score associated with them. I've been able to stay true so far, but the new scoring system really seems to bring out the cheater in me, and I don't like it. I'll go through it for the rest of this weigh-in period, but it's on thin ice.

Our next weigh-in party has been scheduled for May 7th at my house in Rockville. I tried to email everybody the details, but if you didn't get that email, let me or Nick know and I'll get you the information.

We don't have a theme or event this month, just a barbecue hangout party. But we're definitely looking to have a themed party in June. Post any theme ideas in the comments, and Nick and I will decide which is best. FYI, next month's party will likely be in Baltimore.

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting that the point system, which like you said is derivative of the calories, is tempting you to cheat. I wonder if calling that piece of data, points, brings out some competitive nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting thought. One of the classic Joe-isms is "points are points." Maybe if I called them "neutrons" I'd be better?

    ReplyDelete