Monday, March 14, 2011

Let's Get Physical - Weekly Goals - Gargantuar

That is my motto for week 10. Make out with Olivia Newton John. No that's not it, although who wouldn't do it...ya know...for the story. The hardest part for me trying to lose weight has been
the exercise portion. I've done a great job with my daytime walks at work, but have only been going to the gym like once a week the past three weeks. I really need to stay committed to the outside of work exercise program.

Some things holding me back have been weather conditions, schedule conflicts, basically me just not motivating myself. There really is no reason other than not pushing myself harder. Just taking this last week as an example. Yes it rained a couple of days, but it wasn't raining inside the gym. Yes I worked 9am-6pm but that doesn't mean I can't workout/jog before my shift starts. These are just easy excuses a lazy man uses to keep being lazy. Well it is time to change all that. Some things that will help facilitate these changes are
  • Daylight Savings - It is now light outside way past 7pm, leaving plenty of time to play tennis, or go walking/jogging
  • Warmer Weather - Of course the warmer weather also lends nicely to being outdoors more. Plus it will help others to want to join me, and that helps motivate me more. I am a very social person (read: desperate for attention).
  • More frequent and public weighings - I think weighing myself more often and being public about the results can only help to motivate me to keep it going. It's easy to lose focus during the middle of the month, so far away from any public humiliation or jubilation.
  • Punching Myself in the Face - OK, I'm not serious about punching myself in the face, but basically just staying on top of myself and taking responsibility for pushing myself more.
So that is my outline for "Getting Physical." If anyone lives in Baltimore, come play with me at Patterson Park.

Week 10 Diet Goal - Eat Six Times Daily

Last week I did well eating a lot of salads with or for my meals. I hadn't gone to the grocery store in a while so I did not have a lot of snack foods. That led to more hunger pangs and less spreading out of my meals. I think I have done the best on my diet when I spread my meals and snacking throughout the day, never having any singular huge meal. Ideally I would have 3 meals of about 400 Calories and 3 snacks of about 100-200.

Week 10 Exercise Goal - Burn 500 Calories Four Days by "Getting Physical"

As I discussed earlier, I have a bunch of means at my disposal to try to be more active. I have a couple different sources to try to keep track of how many Calories you burn doing certain activities based on gender, age, and weight. I am going to add them all up each day, and would like be over 500 Calories four days this week. Now, these are activities outside of my typical day, so normal being on my feet and walking around my office, do not count.

Month Three Weight Loss Goal

As Psychotron laid out earlier, he would like to lose 14.5lbs or more, as that would get him under 300lbs. I have set my goal at 13lbs for month three. That would put me at 40lbs overall for the competition, and 40lbs in three months is an amazing accomplishment. On a side note, if both The Tron and I hit our goals exactly, Psychotron would win month three by 0.01% (4.61/4.60). That is unless my math is bad (it's not) or my facts are wrong (they're not). Hey, I'm as competitive as the next guy, but a 0.01% margin, would be pretty amazing to see. Here's hoping.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't Patterson Park where people get stabbed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't every park in Baltimore where people get stabbed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick... do you have RunKeeper for your Android phone? Or maybe some other athletic tracking application? I've been using RunKeeper (its free) to track my walks when I take Bailey and/or Charlie out for walks around the neighborhood and plan on using it in some degree when I start running when it gets warmer out. It uses GPS to track how far you've walked, how long you've been walking, and estimates the calories you've burned. It might help. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete