Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Psychotron - Daily Diary 13

So, lucky number 13, it would seem. I've been very good about snacking once a day or not at all, and that's kept my calorie count between pretty low and very low. I've also been active each day so far this work week. I'm gonna need more half-weeks like this if I'm to have any shot at making up ground on Nick. That bastard's been killing it from the looks of things.

2/20/11

Calories: 1,807
Activities: none

Technically I did a little walking on Sunday, but it was just over to my brother's house and back for the Capitals game. Not exactly a Richard Simmons workout. Diet-wise, I was actually in pretty excellent shape until about 6:00, when I found myself in need of some liquid courage. Massive bravery ensued, along with a pile of calories. The last five items on my list read, "Rum, brandy, rum, rum, rum."

2/21/11

Calories: 1,179
Activities: walking

I did some serious walking with Eddie at work. Don't tell our bosses, but we walked for at least 45 minutes, maybe closer to an hour. Then, after work, I went over to visit Eddie and Rachel and watch another hockey game. Rachel made maybe the best chili I've ever had, but thankfully there wasn't too much of it left. Crazy, though, right? Only 1,179 calories, and that includes 342 calories of Blue Moon.

2/22/11

Calories: 1,540
Activities: gym

I did back and bicep exercises at the gym after work, but today my triceps are more sore than my biceps. Eddie suggested it might be a result of me compensating during the workout. Could be, but I'm guessing that means I'll need to really target the biceps for a while. Luckily, bicep exercises are like the one exercise I can legitimately do with the two 20 pound dumbbells I own.

I also did the exercise bike for 18 minutes after lifting. My original target was 15 minutes, but here's what happened. I hit 15 minutes, but my mileage was like 2.93 miles. So I decided to push for 3 miles. Then, at 3 miles, I saw my calories burned was at 89. So I said, "Let's push through, get to 100." Then at 100 calories, I was at 3.33 miles. Fast forward to 3.5 miles, and I was at 17 minutes, so I said, "Alright, 18 is a better number, let's get there." Setting and reaching those tiny goals kept me on the bike for 3 extra minutes, which isn't a crazy addition, but it's something, and my legs are sore today as a result. Good sore, though.

Another very good day calorie-wise, and it actually could've been even lower, but when I looked at the list at about 8:00, I felt like I'd be hurting my recovery time if I didn't have a little more food, particularly protein. So I heated up a chicken alfredo Lean Cuisine (270 calories, and like 20 grams of protein) to finish off the day.

2/23/11

Calories: 865
Activities: walking

Normal walking day with Eddie, about a half hour of walking, though I've noticed we move at a better pace than we used to. Gets the heart pumping a little more, breathe a little harder, and feel a little better afterward.

I know I don't want to stay at 865 as a daily calorie amount, but after the first weigh-in, I wanted to find a day where I could have less than 1,000 calories. Now that I've found it, I feel pretty good about my chances going into March 5th's showdown.

Looking Forward

Yes, in case you had made plans based on the unofficial weigh-in date, it's time to change those plans...or just don't come, whatever. Our second official weigh-in showdown will be Saturday, March 5th. The weigh-in will once again be in the evening, but this time, instead of the Super Bowl, I'm working on a stand-alone party for the occasion. Details to follow...like, when I come up with them.

As far as my own weight-loss plans, as I said, this was a really good half-week for me. Good calorie count, good exercise, I feel good, and hopefully I'm doing good work. I'm hoping to use this as a jumping-off point going forward, from which I can build towards the new Joe.

Three things I want to focus on:

First, I'm pretty sure I need to be drinking more water. I bought a case of bottled water on Sunday; I feel like I drink more water when it's bottled, for whatever reason.

Second, I've been doing well on making sure I get some vegetables every day. I want to keep that as a focus, to make sure I don't slip back into eating popcorn all the time. Popcorn's alright, but vegetables are clearly healthier.

Third, I've still got to work more fruit into the diet. The best thought I had was to try to have fruits ready-to-eat for breakfast. I'm a little pineappled out, so I'll be on the prowl for some different fruits on my next grocery trip. Berries, maybe.

You stay classy, San Diego.

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so I mindlessly squirted my hand soap onto my bathroom counter, and laughed inexplicably at an ice cube being stuck in my ice cube tray. No more sub-900 days, since I'm clearly delirious.

    ReplyDelete